Anyone who’s worked with me knows I preach this all the time: It only takes a small shift in the environment to change behavior (sometimes in a big way). And there aren’t many things smaller than an itty bitty microscopic virus.
Michael’s Dogs Houston dog trainers Victoria Thibodeaux and I are staying flexible and shifting our behavior in response to the change in our environment (I’ll say the name – The Coronavirus that causes Covid-19). Here’s where things stand right now.
We are still doing in-home dog behavior consultations and training lessons. There is no change in our schedule. However, you will notice some slight changes in our behavior.
- We will ask if we can wash our hands at the beginning of our appointment and maybe again at the end.
- We will ask that you have your own treat bag (the kind that can clip on to your shorts or trousers). We will not be passing our treat bag back and forth.
- We will provide you with your own clicker and ask that you keep it. We will also not pass clickers back and forth.
We are waiving the cancellation penalty for illness. You can now cancel or ask to reschedule within 48 hours of your appointment if:
- You have fever or other flulike symptoms (even the day of the appointment). Call and cancel or reschedule. Note: we will reschedule a minimum of 4-weeks later (time for you to recover and self-quarantine).
- Anyone in your household has the virus.
- You have been exposed to someone outside your household who has the virus.
We are on the honor system here. Do not cancel or ask to reschedule if:
- You forgot your child had a game the same evening of our appointment (they are all probably cancelled anyway).
- Your hairdresser had an opening and you want to go to that instead.
- You had too much wine last night and you are hung over today.
- Any other non-health related reason. Please, just be cool about this.
- We have fever or flulike symptoms. Note: I have seasonal allergies. To make sure I am not otherwise sick I’m taking my temperature twice daily
- We have been exposed to anyone with the virus in or outside of our own household.
Remote Consultations – We will maintain our commitment to you and your dogs even if you or one of us is quarantined. I’m happy to say Victoria and I have been ahead of the curve when it comes to offering effective remote dog behavior consultations. We will be suggesting these for cases that are most appropriate. We will also honor your request to work remotely with us. Here’s a link to our Video Remote and Phone Consultations Page so you can learn a bit more about it. I’d also be happy to chat with you to share more information about how they work.
Quick Recap: Here are the main points to rememberer.
- We’d still love to see you in person.
- Let’s be thoughtful about our in-person meetings (scrub-a-dub-dub).
- Rescheduling is fine – we may have to reschedule, too (but I hope not).
- Remote consults are a good option.
Here’s the other thing you know I teach and preach all the time. Behavior changes. That is the nature of things. We can expect the behavior of this virus to change. It will not be as intrusive a factor in our lives forever. We will get through this – and Victoria and I will be here for you and your dogs through it and long after.
Stay safe and stay healthy.